Solheim Cup: facts and 2023 vision
The 17th Solheim Cup is currently being held at the Inverness Club (Toledo, Ohio, United States). We take this opportunity to tell you more about this event, which is the most important international competition in women’s golf.
- Every two years, it brings together teams from Europe and the United States for three days of competition. In other words, the best players from the Ladies European Tour (LET) and the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) Tour.
- The first edition was held in 1990.
- It is named in honour of Karsten and Louise Solheim, the founders of Karsten Manufacturing Corporation, which manufactures PING golf equipment.
- Despite its youth, it is one of the most important events in women’s sport worldwide. The last edition held in Europe (Gleneagles 2019) was attended by more than 90,000 visitors.
- Each team has 12 players, a captain and three assistants.
- Traditionally, the American team has dominated the scoreboard (currently 10-6), although the European team has balanced it with three victories in the last five editions.
- The player who has played in most editions is England’s Laura Davies.
- Seven Spanish golfers have defended the European colours throughout the competition. The only time the Europeans won on US territory (2013) was the only time when three Spaniards were part of the team: Carlota Ciganda, Azahara Muñoz and Beatriz Recari.
For the first time in history, Spain will host the Solheim Cup in 2023. It will take place on the Costa del Sol, at Finca Cortesín, from 18 to 24 September.
The organisers of the 2023 edition have already been working for months to promote the tournament, with a multitude of actions, including the creation of a group of ambassadors (almost 100) who help to give visibility to women’s golf. Among the ambassadors are players, industry professionals and club representatives from all over Spain.
At Doña Julia we support women’s golf and all the major tournaments held in our area, so we are very excited about this event. We are joining this initiative and we have Ana Torres, our sales representative as an ambassador.
This is just the beginning of many initiatives that will take place over the next two years when Europe and Spain take over in a few days.